Wednesday, June 15, 2011

    • COMMUNICATION

    • "By choosing to embrace and practice good values every day, you may not always get what you desire, but you will always be the person you desire to be.."
      ~ John C Maxwell from Today Matters


    • What great words of wisdom to instill in our families...Especially with how our economy is affecting everyone around us, taking a huge toll on the family unit. Since summer has begun, this is our opportunity as parents to reconnect with our children. Try and help them be the best young person I know that they can be...with a little love and guidance, all is possible...
      I know that we are with them every day, however, it's time we try and spend some real time with them...I have three girls of my own and two nieces. I have decided to make it my goal to try and be a better parent by doing one simple thing.....Listening...
      Listening to what they are trying to communicate to me. Oh, you all know how hard that can be, communicating with pre-teens and teenagers. These are vital and impressionable years and we have to take the time to HEAR what our kids are saying to us.
      We are very busy with everyday life and I believe we think we are listening to our children, but are we truly? So what do I plan on doing this summer in order to communicate better?

      Listen before I judge and yell...oh yes, I sometimes yell...I am going to be more understanding, and remember how I was during my teen years. I was impossible and knew that my mother didn't understand me at all. We forget as parents that we were once teens ourselves.
      I will go back to the "BACK IN THE DAY" library in my head and come up with some things I felt when I was their age...so yes, spend time with them, talk to them this summer and I think that maybe life will be that much more sweeter.
      What will you be doing?
      As always, Be sweet,
      Dori Lowry


No comments:

Post a Comment